Name of vine variety: Muscat d'Alexandrie Grapevines
This variety is originally from the Mediterranean region.
There is no officially recognized synonym for this variety in France.In the European Union, Muscat d'Alexandrie can officially be called by other names: Damaszener Muskat (Austria), Moscatel de Alejandría (Spain), Müscat of Alexandria (Cyprus), Moscatel de Málaga (Spain), Moscatel Graúdo (Portugal), Moscatel de Setúbal (Portugal), Moschato Alexandrias (Greece, Cyprus), Moscato d'Alessandria (Italy), Moscato di Alessandria (Malta), Moscato (Malta, under certain conditions in Italy), Moscatello (under certain conditions in Italy), Moscatellone (under certain conditions in Italy), Zibibbo (Italy, Malta).
- In France, Muscat d'Alexandrie B is officially listed in the "Catalogue of vine varieties".
- This vine variety is likewise listed in the Catalogues of other European Union member states: Austria, Cyprus, Spain, Greece, Italy, Malta and Portugal.
Wine and table grape variety
- Bud burst: 6 days after Chasselas.
- Grape maturity: period III, 4 weeks after Chasselas.
Suitability for cultivation and agronomic production
- Muscat d’Alexandrie B is slightly vigorous with trailing growth.
- It is generally managed with short pruning and in gobelet.
- This variety is well adapted to drought and to gravelly, acidic or decalcified terroirs.
- Muscat d’Alexandrie B vines tend to age fairly quickly.
- Muscat d’Alexandrie B requires hot temperatures for the proper ripening of grapes and for lignification of the vine wood.
Sensitivity to diseases and pests
Muscat d’Alexandrie B is sensitive to oidium, grey rot and to insects.
- The grape clusters are large and the berries very large.
- Muscat d’Alexandrie B can produce natural sweet wine with powerful, elegant and floral aromas.
- The sugar potential of this variety can only be expressed in climatic situations adapted to its particular needs.
- Muscat d’Alexandrie B can also be used to produce dry wines, possibly sparkling or used blended to provide aromatic input.
The 5 approved Muscat d’Alexandrie B clones carry the numbers 308, 635, 866, 979 and 1014.